Monday, October 18, 2010

See ya later...not goodbye


As I have been trying to grasp reality these past two days, I have read over many thoughts of family members and friends. They all have written such beautiful tributes to my Grandpa Fisher. It was like they were taking the words right out of my mouth when they wrote them. So as I sat down to write my own tribute I doubt my writing abilities. I have never been quite the eloquent writer like my sisters, cousins, aunts, etc, so bear with me if you continue to read my tribute to Ira Mitchell Fisher.

Grandpa, thank you for making me into the person I am today. Without your many stories, voices included, poached eggs, ice cream, licorice, pink and white mints, (but mostly the pink ones) birthday cards, Priesthood blessings, hugs, pictures, rides, counsel, and your unconditional love, I would not be here in the ELC writing this tribute to you. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to live right next door to you. I always knew that you would be a few short steps away, at any hour of the day or night. Your house and presence was a safe haven for so many and I am grateful for the wonderful peace I feel when I think of you being reunited with your lovely wife. But I will miss you.

I will miss how your face lights up when I would walk through your front door or into your bedroom. I will miss your 20 questions of what I have been up to, where I have traveled, and where my next plans will take me. I will miss coming to you when I am broken in need of a blessing. I will miss going into your office, sitting on your chair, letting you back up and support yourself against your desk, and then laying your hands upon my bowed head. I will miss saying Amen and instantly turning around embracing you with tears falling freely. I will miss coming to sing to you every Sunday after church.

But because of you I will never settle for less than my best. I will someday graduate with my bachelors degree in education, because I hope to be at least half of the teacher you are. Because of you I have a firm testimony of the gospel. I will strive to live my life to find a companion who will honor his Priesthood and take me to the temple to be sealed for time and all eternity. I will strive to be patient, loving, giving....the list goes on and on. Because of you I will do everything I can to be with you forever.

So I, along with the rest of your posterity, want to say thank you for being you. Thank you for your love and example. See ya later.....


4 comments:

  1. Loved it, Kait. And I love you, too. Very well-worded and very eloquent. I have to agree whole-heartedly. He truly made you want to live your life better because he did. But he did it in such a loving way. I will miss him, too. But luckily, like you said, it's just "see ya later."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kait, there was not one word in here that wasn't beautifully written! I totally agree with you, and hope to someday be like grandpa. I know he was proud of you and that he'll miss seeing you, just like you will miss him...thank goodness we have the gospel and that he is at peace and happy. I love you so much--thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried really hard to hold it in - but your post made me cry. Very nice tribute. Man that Grandpa of ours is going to be missed - what an awesome life he lived. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't sell yourself short, this tribute was awesome! It was so wonderful seeing how beautifully you have grown, it had been too long! Remember that Grandpa is NEVER far away, and now he can watch over us and do all those things his aging body just wouldn't let him do. I know he still sees us and can't wait for us to be with him forever! LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete