Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Start with what you know

Can I just say that time sure flies by!! It is almost the middle of April and I can't believe I only have a few more weeks left in this Spring 2011 semester! I have been trying to figure out my life for who knows how long and when I decide on something, another factor comes into play and I am back at square one. So as I think about all of the things that are going on in my life, all of the unknowns, and decisions, I can't help but to refer back to an institute lesson I had here at SUU. I was in a class taught by Brother Gudmunson. He is such an amazing teacher! Words would not do him justice to explain just how great of a teacher he is. If I can become a quarter of the teacher he is in my own career, I will be ever so grateful! Anywho, we were chatting one day in class about how one of my fellow classmates had an experience where her testimony was wavering. She had always been strong in the church and when she was at work, a fellow employee came to her asking questions about our church. At first she was caught off guard and hesitated at answering their tricky questions and it really troubled her because she had always been so strong in the church. So she talked to Brother Gudmunson and he gave her profound and yet simple advice. He told her to start with what she KNEW. She began thinking about what she really did know and had a firm testimony of.

This class discussion happened about a year ago and yet I can still remember it as if it was just yesterday. If you know me then you know that I like to be organized and that I like to know what I am doing, where I am going, and how I am going to get there. So this whole business of changing schools, places to live, jobs, and maybe even marital status, has got me stressed to the max. My mind starts thinking about one thing, then another, then another. Then I just have to put my running shoes on and run my anxiety and stress out. It wasn't until yesterday that I remembered Brother Gudmunson's advice....start with what you know.

So that is what I am going to do. I know that I am a daughter of my Father in Heaven and that I am never alone. I know that he is always there for me, much closer than I think at times. I know that I have a family that loves and supports me in all of my decisions. I know that if I will trust in the Lord he will direct my paths. I know that wherever I go and whatever I choose to do, someone in Brazil loves me and will support me in whatever goals I set for myself. I know that by sincere prayer and faithfully studying the scriptures I can receive tender mercies from my Father in Heaven. I know that I want to study Family and Consumer Sciences because it is so very important to me. I know that I want to become a teacher and change lives like Ira Mitchell Fisher. I know in order to do this I am supposed to transfer to Utah State. I don't have all of the answers as to why's, but I just know that that is where I am supposed to finish my degree. So with all of those things that I know, I have taken them and have found peace in my decisions.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Kait! Look at you grow up. Well, you've always been a little more grown up than me in so many ways. I wish you the best of luck. Even though I will miss you, I want you to do what you have to do. I know you'll do great. Thanks for the advice "Start with what you know." I love it and will think of it often :)

    ReplyDelete