This past weekend I had the opportunity to support Krista and Derek. I have known Krista since the beginning of time...five years. Actually it has been longer than that, but I just had to throw The Little Rascals in :) But for three years I compete against Krista in every sport imaginable....well in every sport offered at our respected schools. Whenever we would play against Wayne I always got chosen to defend Krista...and if you don't know...there's a bit of a height different...so she always had an advantage.
But one time when Wayne came to play in Milford she was guarding me and we were down by two points. My teammate in bounded the ball to me and I scored the tying basket to send us into overtime. Towards the end of overtime my team was down by one, and once again I got in bounded the ball and scored the winning basket with Krista defending me. Four points in one game was very unusual for me, considering I just liked to play defense and didn't worry about scoring. So I was pretty happy that day.
Let's fast forward down the road a few years later when I went to school and met Dallon. He came over to my house with some friends and we were introduced. He said he was from Wayne. So I, being the creep I am, asked for his last name.. he told me it was Durfey. Then I asked sheepishly, are you Krista's brother and sure enough, he was.
Fast forward a couple of months after meeting Dallon....to the first time I went to Wayne to meet his family. It just so happened that it was a day that Krista would be playing in her senior night basketball game. On the way to Bicknell, as I grew more and more nervous about meeting Dallon's family, he decided to share with me a little story that did NOT help my nerves. He began to tell me about the time he told his family, mainly his sisters, that he was dating a girl. Krista asked who it was and he told her it was me. She replied, Kaitlin Livingston? I don't like her, because during one of our games she made a lucky shot twice and Milford beat us, something that they never do. I turned to Dallon and said, just rock me to sleep why don't ya!!

Now fast forward to Saturday, November 20, 2010. I was in attendance when Krista Hill walked out of the Draper temple all dressed in white, hand in hand with her eternal companion Derek Hill. All of those years of being jealous of Krista Durfey, the basketball, track, and volleyball star who was tall, gorgeous, and better at everything than me, were non-existent as tears filled my eyes when we embraced and she thanked me for coming. She is still the funny and beautiful Krista, but I still hope to be like her someday. Not just because she is an amazing athlete, or smart, or tall, but because she is such a great example to me. I can't wait until I can be married for time and all eternity to the love of my life.
I am so grateful for the Durfey family and for the opportunity that I was able to support Derek and Krista enter into the next stage of their life. I am also so very grateful that I could become one of Krista's friends, rather than just a girl who made two lucky shots to win the game. :)
But one time when Wayne came to play in Milford she was guarding me and we were down by two points. My teammate in bounded the ball to me and I scored the tying basket to send us into overtime. Towards the end of overtime my team was down by one, and once again I got in bounded the ball and scored the winning basket with Krista defending me. Four points in one game was very unusual for me, considering I just liked to play defense and didn't worry about scoring. So I was pretty happy that day.
Let's fast forward down the road a few years later when I went to school and met Dallon. He came over to my house with some friends and we were introduced. He said he was from Wayne. So I, being the creep I am, asked for his last name.. he told me it was Durfey. Then I asked sheepishly, are you Krista's brother and sure enough, he was.
Fast forward a couple of months after meeting Dallon....to the first time I went to Wayne to meet his family. It just so happened that it was a day that Krista would be playing in her senior night basketball game. On the way to Bicknell, as I grew more and more nervous about meeting Dallon's family, he decided to share with me a little story that did NOT help my nerves. He began to tell me about the time he told his family, mainly his sisters, that he was dating a girl. Krista asked who it was and he told her it was me. She replied, Kaitlin Livingston? I don't like her, because during one of our games she made a lucky shot twice and Milford beat us, something that they never do. I turned to Dallon and said, just rock me to sleep why don't ya!!

Now fast forward to Saturday, November 20, 2010. I was in attendance when Krista Hill walked out of the Draper temple all dressed in white, hand in hand with her eternal companion Derek Hill. All of those years of being jealous of Krista Durfey, the basketball, track, and volleyball star who was tall, gorgeous, and better at everything than me, were non-existent as tears filled my eyes when we embraced and she thanked me for coming. She is still the funny and beautiful Krista, but I still hope to be like her someday. Not just because she is an amazing athlete, or smart, or tall, but because she is such a great example to me. I can't wait until I can be married for time and all eternity to the love of my life.
I am so grateful for the Durfey family and for the opportunity that I was able to support Derek and Krista enter into the next stage of their life. I am also so very grateful that I could become one of Krista's friends, rather than just a girl who made two lucky shots to win the game. :)
You should post this on facebook so the Durfeys can read it! It is so cute! I love being your travel buddy to the Wayne County and I LOVED this whole wedding! Love you sister!
ReplyDelete